Saturday 8 August 2009

We Will Rock You Touring


It's been a while since I last blogged. Over a month ago now. I really need to blog more often but being unemployed still, my life is just not that exciting at the moment.

I went to see the touring production of We Will Rock You on July 29th at Birmingham Hippodrome. I haven't seen the show in London as I was unsure whether I would like it so when I heard last year that it was going to tour I was excited to say the least. I really loved the show and have been listening to the soundtrack non stop since seeing it. The storyline is not perfect but I knew that before I saw it and the music more than makes up for it. I'm not a big Queen fan but I enjoyed the music a lot.

There were two understudies for the performance I saw. Amy Hathaway replaced Sarah French-Ellis in the Role of Scaramouche and Ashley Russell replaced Brenda Edwards in the Role of Killer Queen. I thought Amy Hathaways performance was excellent she has a very good voice. I loved her singing Somebody To Love. I have not seen Brenda Edwards in the Role so I do know how good she is compared to Ashley Russell. I enjoyed Ashleys performance as well. The rest of the cast Alex Gaumond, Georgina Hagen etc were really good there voices were phenomenal. I was surprised at how well Kevin Kennedy can sing. His role in the show is relatively small but he was very funny. Jonathan Wilkes also surprised me in regards to his singing voice it was much better than I was expecting.

My favourite songs were I Want To Break Free, Under Pressure, No One But You, Who Wants To Live Forever and of course We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody.

I enjoyed the show so much. You just can't help singing to the songs as they are so well known. I have booked to see it again on September 9th and I hope to see Sarah French-Ellis and Brenda Edwards this time around as I like to compare actors and actresses I have seen in the same role. After the show I had an overwhelming urge to learn the Electric Guitar. Sadly the closest I will get is Guitar Hero.

I also saw the Freddie Mercury statue in Selfridges in Birmingham Bullring. It was a good statue I don't think it was a brilliant likeness to Freddie Mercury but there won't be another Freddie so that's the next best thing.

Since seeing We Will Rock You my top 5 musicals have changed again. Every time I see a show for the first time it changes my top musicals around. My top 5 are currently

1. Wicked
2. Sister Act
3. We Will Rock You
4. Les Miserables
5. Miss Saigon

No comments:

Post a Comment